Monday, August 28, 2006

Adventure Racing from a Mountain Biker's Perspective

Wet Feet + 10hrs = Gross
Team Car
One of the many great views from Fall Creek Falls


We made it over to Fall Creek Falls early in the afternoon on Friday to scope out the park and enjoy the scenery. The state park surrounds a gorge and the average elevation was just under 2000 feet. This made for some spectacular views and sweet singletrack. The race started at 5:30 AM with plotting destinations on a map then running towards the lake with our Canoe. First obstacle of the day, get across the lake with only one person in the CANOE???????????? Kurt rowed his heart out while Charlie and I hung on the sides and got splashed in the face. I was expecting some crazy stuff but not that early in the morning. Once we were across Kurt took to the trail for a technical two mile run while we rowed and talked about politics and how wonderful it was to be canoeing and watching the sun rise. From then on we rode, ran, and hiked around the park getting lost and trying to find check points. We found some, skipped some and ended our day with a Repell off a 160 cliff into cool water below. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am glad I was able to participate. Below are some random pics from the weekend. A special thanks to my teamates, sponsors and Riversports Adventure Racing www.riversportsadventures.com They put on a wild event.
On a side note:
I got a 4.0 my first semester of grad school, I am an official substitute teacher and I found two kittens at Stanky Creek. Want them? They cost $1000 each. One is named Fisher, the other is un-decided.

No comments: