Sunday, March 11, 2007

12 Hours of Hot Springs Recap


March 10 and I did a solo race. I packed the car and hit the road with 3 goals: No injuries, Quick Transitions and a Podium Spot. Check, Check and Check. The race was held in Cedar Glades Park just outside of the touristy parts of Hot Springs. This was the first of three races in the Arkansas Endurance Series. The loop was 10 miles with switch backs, bench cut, shail rock and 1 thousand feet of climbing. I started the day with the "slow and steady" plan. Not everyone felt the same. I focused on quick pits which is challenging without a support crew. My pit was 2 lawn chairs and a tool box. No table, no pup up, no mechanic. I played cat and mouse with 3 solo riders in Little Rock for most of the 75 degree day. Not sure what happened to them once night fell but that is when everyone started picking up the pace. The climbs and 10 hours of singletrack riding started wearing me down. I was more than happy to call it good after riding 11 hours and 38 minutes, completing 9 laps, just under 100 miles and nearly 10 thousand feet of climbing. It was good enough for 5th or 6th overall and 1st place solo 29 and under. Next Stop: The Ouachita Challenge, race #2 of the Series.


In other news: I am on my second spring break, Brian Yost is driving down from Michigan this weekend and school is going well. Stay Tuned

No comments: